Prevention is the best pathway to reduce colorectal cancer. To reduce the cancer risk and prevent colorectal cancer, the following activities are encouraged:
- Eat a high-fiber diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans and whole grains.
- Limit red meat consumption and avoid processed meats.
- Consume calcium-rich foods like low-fat or skim milk.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Be physically active and exercise regularly.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t drink alcohol excessively.
- Get screened for colorectal cancer starting at age 50.
Colorectal cancer is preventable!